Family Immigration (Green Cards for Family)

Immediate Relatives of U.S. Citizens 

Immediate relatives are defined as spouses, children, and parents of U.S. citizens. Visa numbers are immediately available for immediate relatives of U.S. citizens, making this category the easiest and quickest way to immigrate to the United States. For family-based preference categories, beneficiaries must wait 5 to 15 years for visas to become available.

Spouses of U.S. Citizens

Marriage to a U.S. citizen results in conditional
resident status unless the marriage has existed for at least 2 years at the time
the immigrant status is granted. Conditional residents must apply for removal of
their conditional status within 90 days of the expiry of this 2 year period of
conditional status. If the spouse of the U.S. citizen is in the United States,
the petition for permanent residence and spouse’s application for adjustment of
status are filed at the nearest INS district office.  The spouse
may also apply for work authorization and advance parole (if eligible) to be
able to travel outside the U.S. while the adjustment application is
pending.  If the spouse is outside of the United States, the U.S.
citizen submits the immigrant visa petition to an INS Regional Service
Center.  On approval, the spouse applies for his or her immigrant
visa at a U.S. Consulate abroad.  While the immigrant visa petition
is pending, the U.S. citizen may apply for a K-3 visa so that the spouse may
enter the U.S. while the INS engages in its lengthy adjudication of the
immigrant visa petition.

Children of U.S. Citizens

To qualify as an immediate relative, a child must be
under 21 years of age and unmarried. A “child” may include a step-child as long
as the child is under 18 years of age at the time the step-relationship is
created.  Adopted children are eligible as immediate relatives if
they were adopted before attaining the age of 16 years and resided with the U.S.
citizen parent in legal custody for at least 2 years before the filing of the
immigrant visa petition.

Parents of U.S. Citizens

A U.S. citizen must be at least 21 years of age to
apply for his parents.

To request a consultation regarding an immigrant visa petition for an immediate relative, please contact our office at

Contact Us           

Law Offices of Kevin M. Wilhelmi

30445 Northwestern Hwy, Ste. 230

Farmington Hills, MI 48334


Phone: 248-932-8776

Fax:     248-851-6665